Damage to Hellebore and Laurel

Both our Hellebores and Laurel have been subjected to significant leaf eating damage. This has continued throughout the winter and spring with only the Laurel beginning to regrow to any noticeable quantity of new leaf. Has anyone else experienced this problem and offer help and advise to identify the insect and method of control.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,656

Hi David

Can you post some pictures of the damage please.

To post a pic on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Typical damage to several of our Hellebores this year. 

That looks to me like snail damage - from pretty hungry snails.  Is that this year's new foliage or last year's?

I can't see any signs of this winter/spring's flowers - did they not flower or have you  removed them? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Its last years growth and  you are correct we had a very disappointing number of flowers. New leaves are beginning to emerge but also have some damage. Should I try some form of snail control.

I would remove the old leaves at their base - they always look a bit battered by the end of the winter and detract from the flowers.  I remove them just as the new flower buds are showing in the late winter early spring.

The Ajuga and Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' that is growing around the hellebore is providing the perfect hiding place for slugs and snails.  I would clear an area around the base of the hellebore, give it a feed with some Fish Blood and Bone according to the instructions on the pack, and then mulch with some organic material - garden compost or leaf mould would be best.  

Keep the base of the plant clear of other plants and my bet is that the snail damage will reduce.

Hope that helps. image