Forum home Talkback

Cornus Kousa

Hi last year I planted a Cornus Kousa which was in flower at the time this year the plant looks healthly but no flowers can anyone tell me why please

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021

Cornus kousa can take years to flower, and moving them from a pot to the ground may easily delay the plant from flowering for a few years.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • Thanks very much, would you also know the answer to this I have a plant very similar to a wedding cake tree but it's much much smaller and I've it for about 8 years and it's always produced beautiful variagated leaves but this year it's completely bare I know it's still alive but no leaves what so ever.

I can't see any trace of anything on it.  

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Judy Hi ,i found this at the RHS site as i dont know anything about your plant but im wondering if a spot of Potash might help with the flowering ,iv just given a Peace Lilly a small feed on it , they are a bit of a (i do what I want plant ) but it now has 7 good flowers ,so perhaps it might help, wont do any harm i dont think and potash is cheap

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=537     good luck Judy

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021

Judy, your Cornus controversa sounds more of a concern. It should be in leaf now. I saw a couple at the weekend on my garden tour of North Yorkshire and they were both in full leaf.

However, I am afraid I dont know why, just wait and see I suppose.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi again, nitrogen is for leaf and stem growth,phosphorous for roots,shoots,and buds and potash for flowers and fruiting and general hardiness,perhaps this might help.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...your Cornus kousa should flower well next year...I've bought then in flower before and they miss out the following year as they're making a lot of growth...

alternatively...have you pruned it at all this winter? if you have, you might have cut off the flower buds..

• Thanks everyone, Alan I will try your suggestion the only thing that worries me is that I have three larger wedding cake trees and they all look lovely I was wondering if something had eaten all the young leaves but as I say theres nothing to be seen.

I haven't pruned the Kousa so fingers crossed next year will bring flowers. 

• MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 213

Hi Judy, does the C. Kousa that has lost it's leaves have 'teenager spot' like appearance along the branches?

if so then you could try Vitax Organic 2 in 1 (or even any rose treatment spray at a push). I don't like to recommend chemicals if at all possible but needs must sometimes.

Might also be an idea to collect up the fallen leaves of all the Cornus this autumn and burn rather than compost them ....just in case it is a nasty old infection. Good Luck

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

My Kousa has flowered for the first time. I have had it for about 7 years at the back of a raised bed border. It was worth the wait.

• MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 213

Last year, mmm...ok. This year it is covered in white bracts.

I  agree with Salino that plants, shrubs and trees do appear have strong growth years followed by strong fruiting years.