Cross pollination

I have managed to germinate four "luffa cylindrica", which is a member of the cucumber family, and wonder if I grow them in the greenhouse at the same time as  my cucumbers if they might cross pollinate and I will either end up with cucumbers I can scrub my back with, or loofahs I can slice into a salad!  I don't think the cucumbers will grow successfully outside here in the North East.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283

They may well cross-pollinate Mary, but that won't affect the fruit grown from the plants this year, only plants grown from any seeds you save from this year's fruit.  The same thing happens with other members of this family such as squashes - if several varieties are grown together it's probably not worth saving the seed other than for the fun of growing something which may be unusual but might not taste nice or may have tough flesh etc.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

I don't think they're that closely related but if they are it will be their decendents that are weird mutants. 

• MammyjammyMammyjammy Posts: 10

ha ha mutant cucumbers! Thanks for your advice

I am pleased I will be able to grow these in my greenhouse as I don't think they would do very well outside, unless we have a summer like last year.

• nikki 7nikki 7 Posts: 74

Hello folks I would love to try and grow a loofah plant.  But where do I get the seeds?  Answers much appreciated.  Thanks

Nikki

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 667
    nikki 7 said:

Hello folks I would love to try and grow a loofah plant.  But where do I get the seeds?  Answers much appreciated.  Thanks

Nikki

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_826A_luffa_cylindrica first result I came up with, I have used the company before and have no complaints.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269
    My 2 luffah seeds I sowed earlier have both germinated, they will live in the GH.
    no problem with germinating, I think the size will be the problem that’s why I only sowed 2. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.