Onion - North Holland Blood Red.......10%

Onion - Rossa lunga di firenze...........20%

Parsnips - Countess F1.....................0%

Carrot - Chantenay Red Cored 2........10%

Runner bean - Mercoles....................40%

Is it just me or has anyone else had problems this season

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• valrobbovalrobbo Posts: 20

I have tendency to shop around, Up to 2 years ago I did a little showing at local shows, then I would pay the extra money for the F1 seed, but now at the age of 75 I look after the pennies and still get good results. Country Value seeds and those obtainable from Lidyl's can give you good results. My Runner Beans and Broad Beans I buy loose weight from a local garden centre, if I decide on peas I do the same, buy as many or as few as you need. This year germination has been excellent, Dwarf Beans from Lidyl's 2 rows planted a week ago, 90% already showing. Carrots, at the moment I have sown two lots of Early Nantes, 50% germination 1st sowing near on 100% on the second, this is Kings seed. Onions I grow from sets, 4 six metre rows I have lost 3 bulbs. Parsnips are always a little dodgy and tempermental, you always want fresh seed, even then its hit and miss. I have a 50% germination on 1st sowing which is not good enough so have resown, early days yet, fellow allotment holders have had the lack of success, maybe the season. Some Sweet Peas have been my problem, I buy the best seed and am growing just over 300 plants this year. Three packets of seed bought(15seeds to the packet) 1 packet no germination the other 2 packets 30% germination, I contacted the seller and received 3 free packets by return, still no germination on the 1 but an increase to 50% on the other two. Today 26 May picked my first flowers.

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Soak parsnip seeds on kitchen paper and after a few days, some will germinate. Use tweezers to sow them carefully into pots of seed compost. Think I read this on here somewhere. 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Several of my fellow allotmenteers have had no parsnips germinate this year.  It must be something to do with the growing conditions as everyone has bought from different providers.  

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Only a few of my parsnips have germinated and they weren't Fothergills.  I think I read somewhere on here a couple of weeks ago that someone else was having problems with parsnips this year.....seems to be quite common as already noted image

I haven't bought any new Fothergills this year but did have a some from previous years and they have all germinated, some were even out of date. 

• sunnysarahsunnysarah Posts: 62

Last year I grew parsnips and I soaked some kitchen roll on a plate with water sprinkled the parsnip seeds onto it then covered in cling film then put on a sunny window sill. kept checking kitchen was damp every so often and hey presto germinated seeds then carefully remove and sow into ground as normal.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I am one of 20 participants up and down the country doing trials for Mr. Fothergills seeds. Germination problems do not seem to be with the seed   We have not trialled parsnips but have had excellent or good germination with tomatoes, peppers,cucamelons, coriander, basil, salad leaves,sweet peas, antirrhinums,broad beans,so far. We have also trialled strawberry plants and garlic cloves with good results and early seed potatoes.and bare root perennials and fruit bushes.are giving good accounts of themselves. 

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I've been told you must buy new parsnip seeds each year because they don't keep.  I get my flower and veg seeds from Fothergills each year and don't seem to have problems.

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

I've not had issues with fothergills either. Urwins however haven't been so fruitful!

• Yes, I've had problems with Fothergill's seeds this season! I live in southern Germany, but like growing long English greenhouse cucumbers, tomatoes etc. Various varieties have succeeded previously, but the 'Telegraph Improved' cucumbers are a bad joke this year.  Of the three that sprouted, one died and the other two have produced so many male flowers I can't keep up with them!  Fruits are short, dull, misshapen and bitter.  After two grammatically illiterate responses from what I assume was their administrator, they have lost a customer! I think the first was telling me I am growing too many plants together, therefore stressing them. I was given one plant of a German variety (total 3!) which is producing beautiful fruit, with all three organically fed and in good compost. One English plant grew with a stem resembling a computer cable, 5 cm at its widest.  Anyone seen that phenomenon before? At least the flowers kept the wild bees happy...