Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID if poss please

Afternoon all,am i correct in thinking this is a climbing  Lacehead  Hydrangea,its about 3 feet high and 7 feet wide and started flowering 2 weeks ago,as you can tell its white and trailing a fence, ,Alan

• tracy 4tracy 4 Posts: 8

hard without a picture, i have a climbing hydrangea, best google for climbing variety as looking at the pics i found there is only white/cream. my bargain buy last year has allready surpassed by expectation of it, wasnt expecting much this year but have been suprised at how much growth and the fact im having flowers. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Alan .......... where's the pic?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

The climbing types will show little roots along the stems, that how it clings. If it hasnt got those its an ordinary shrub type.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

alan are you sure it's not a viurnum (thingy..!!!can't remember full name!)

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

SO SORRY i dont know what happened,cheap camera and an idiot using it ,so heres at last the pics 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

It does look like my petiolaris but mine definitely clings to fence

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They are a bit slow to start clinging sometimes. If it's got no upright growth and flops everywhere it probably is. Also a bit fussy about what they cling to, a treated fence might slow it down

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • tracy 4tracy 4 Posts: 8

heres a pic of mine, its only been planted since end of summer last year, no sign of any clingers as yet, dose smell lovely though,

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi all,Petiolaris it is then,a very nice climbing Hydrangea, a must for propagating,its clinging to the fence for about 7 feet and 3 feet high and in very good nick,im well pleased with that one, many thanks to you all for the help,and its still pouring here in Norfolk .  Alan4711image