Forum home Plants

Growing veg

hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81

I have been growing pots of Basil and Tomatoes in my conservatory . Is it too late to grow something else in there. Was thinking of something edible but not sure what would work best?

Also one of the Tomatoes was an unexpected plant. It grew out of my pot of fern - thought it was a weed and almost pulled it out. Its doing very well, in fact its huge and still growing, approx 4ft at present. Both plants have flowers on . Is it normal for Tomatoes to grow so large?

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Chillies, peppers and aubergines would grow well in a warm conservatory, it's to late to sow their seeds but you can probably still purchase small plants from a GC

Some varieties of tomatoes can grow quite tall, pinch out the growing tip in late August or when six or seven trusses (flowering tips) have developed which ever is earlier. This tops the plant growing and it puts more effort into the developing fruit.       .  

• hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81
    Zoomer44 wrote (see)

Chillies, peppers and aubergines would grow well in a warm conservatory, it's to late to sow their seeds but you can probably still purchase small plants from a GC

Some varieties of tomatoes can grow quite tall, pinch out the growing tip in late August or when six or seven trusses (flowering tips) have developed which ever is earlier. This tops the plant growing and it puts more effort into the developing fruit.       .  

Thank youimage I've have not really attempted growing veg before so not much idea what I'm doing - bit of a learning curve for me.

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

How about some strawberries? Mine are doing quite well in a container at present

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

Oh I should add, get them from a plant not seed. Maybe you could sew some chives? They also happen to sprout pretty pink flowers which are also edible and look pretty in the salads you'll make with your tomatoes!

• hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81
    SweetPea93 wrote (see)

Oh I should add, get them from a plant not seed. Maybe you could sew some chives? They also happen to sprout pretty pink flowers which are also edible and look pretty in the salads you'll make with your tomatoes!

I do have a pot of chives. Might try the strawberry idea though.