sweet peppers

H7H7 Posts: 15

how long do they take to germinate

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

2/3 weeks-not as quick as tomatoes.

• H7H7 Posts: 15

thanx i sowed 1st batch on 5/5 on windowsill in propegator ,

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

I've had them take 4 weeks to germinate. Strange things, peppers. So much slower to germinate and develop than toms. Yet, once they're planted out, they catch up pretty quickly.

i sowed 12 seeds on 3/5 first one has showed signs of life today

Okay, the others should follow. Frustrating things, peppers.

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Every year I find that although peppers are quick to germinate and grow a few inches, they are very slow to develop compared with toms. I've had some in the GH since the middle of April and they are only about a foot tall now.From experience, it will be JUly before they get into a stride and September before they are in their prime with plenty of fruit. Then comes the problem of ripening! It's a long tedious business but worthwhile by the end of it.

out of 12 it looks like 7seedlings of sweet peppers will be  success from 1 st batch i sowed on  5/5image

Patience will get you everywhere. image

• Will the same plant grow every year, or do I have to start over each time?  I have a couple of plants that are about 2ft tall, with a couple of poorly looking fruits.  Should I give up?  I don't have a GH (yet), but the plants are in my tall propergator-thing so protected from the elements.

Peppers, technically, are perennials, like tomatoes, but mainly grown as annuals. They can survive into a second season if kept warm enough with plenty of light but production drops away as the plant tires. You'd get a better crop from a fresh plant next season.

Just bear in mind that they take longer to germinate than toms and longer to grow to plant-out stage. You need to start seeds very early. Or, alternatively, buy a mature seedling.