Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

spinach

I've just been oop t'lotty, and found that the spinach beet, sown 6 weeks ago, has reluctantly germinated out side, and at the dizzy height of some 3 inches, or for the Europhiles, 75mm,   or 7.5cms,    they have decided to go to seed !  That's all I need. Pygmy dwarf spinach !

Any views of constructive intent from out there in the ether ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Pick off the flower heads and use in a stir fry.  With any luck  that will enourage the plants will grow plenty of leaves

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Good evening Dove,f a.   I think that with the best will in the world, to pick the flower heeds orft the spin-plant I refer to, would need a magnifying glass ! A stir fry for a mouse  might stretch the supply a bit.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

LOL, I meant if they're sending up a flower spike just pick that off - not the individual flowers image

I hate to waste things so I'd cook and eat somehow , incorporate with some purple sprouting or cabbage, or use in a salad, but of course you could just put them in the compost. 

But take out the flowering spike so they will produce leaves.

I'd also sow another row or two.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Yes Ma'arm.       Sowing,    sowing,      sowing !

• Hester ScottHester Scott Posts: 181

Chard or silver beet is pretty much the same and won't go to seed like that. It's really easy and quick and will last over winter. I'm still eating last years and it's the best thing in the allotment.