Forum home Talkback

BARNSDALE GARDEN TRIP.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I do Busy . . . and guess what my name is at Guides image image We have both on offer here and have some girls that are both Scouts and Guides image 

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

You're called Panda, aren't you!  The little fella answers to a lady called 'Chestnut'.  I think I'd be called Deadly Nightshade if I got involved with children that young en masse.  Which is not to say that I'm a hideous foster carer, just that the discipline here is strictly based on comprehensive school norms, and even OH thinks Chestnut is way too nice to them all, and he is soft as putty!!

I am not soft, but am hopefully fun image have much respect for those that deal with the littles, (anyone below Guides or Scouts) as you can be sarcastic a bit with the older kids and have a laugh!

Like the idea of Deadly Nightshade as a name image

• I haven't read this thread all the way through, but I did say at the beginning that I could do this. Not sure if my name is on the list, but if so, I'm afraid I won't be able to be with you.

Hope you all have a great day at the home the maestro.

Oh that's a shame David - am avidly looking forward to meeting people, and I had remembered you said you were going to come.  I am now fielding the flak that comes with a 'grown up' in our house putting something on the calendar for themselves.  Standing firm and saying 'No - sorry but I'm not going to be around on Friday 20th.  I am not here.  Absent.  Far away.  Doing something else.  So I am very sorry but you can't.' 

Panda, this evening was so funny because I had to go to the primary school for a 'pre-residential trip' meeting with little girl, and all the parents and children were sitting in the classroom, and little girl's friend, who I have heard is naughty, was 'being herself'.  She has been round here plenty of times, but always been sweetness and light.  It came as something of a shock.  I think with me, kids like me and I keep them amused, but there is an invisible line which they know not to cross.  I think primary teachers should be more like secondary ones sometimes.  And sarcasm is essential - if only to keep yourself sane. 

We also like to correct their grammar and introduce new words like 'syllabus'. . . .

Eg, us, "what does the badge syllabus say?" Them, "What does that mean?" image

Them, "Sandra and me went to the shops", us " no, Sandra and I went because me can't go to the shops but I can". image

They look at us like we are nuts! (Hope you don't think we are mean!)

My goddaughter is the same though, naughty at Brownies, not so naughty around me image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,092

Not mean Panda. You gotta talk properimage

Give kids an inch.....!

As an ex-English teacher, I am a fully paid up member of the grammar nazi brigade.  I get twitchy if I hear someone saying 'If I was...' instead of 'If I were...'  

Little girl is regularly corrected on things like 'I camed out' - poor thing.  And not even by me I hasten to add, but by my son, whose pedantry (at 15) knows no bounds. 

You should see my friends and me on Facebook! We are forever correcting each other. (Nearly made the error of my friends and I!!!! Glad I spotted that! image)

Thanks Nut, good to know! 

Does it not turn nasty Panda, I mean, if people are correcting each other all the time?  Or is it a standing joke?