Forum home Fruit & veg

Peas have gone Pete Tong!

CaralCaral Posts: 301

Where have I gone wrong? I've sown two crops of peas resulting in zilch! Well, apart from two white roots. Last year I literally turned over a small patch, made some drills, soaked the peas and threw them in; then personally scared the dog and any birds, that tried eating them.  I have the most wonderful crop of peas which the children picked each morning. 

This year, I'll built a raised veg bed and filled it with compost and covered with netting, pumpkins, runners and carrots are loving it but not a pea in sight...*sob, sob* 

Where have I gone wrong?? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,794

Mice!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Just keep trying though!  First time I tried to grow them, about ten years ago at our old house, nothing came up and the mice had managed to circumvent the traps.  So this year I planted some in toilet roll tubes in the greenhouse, and I've been putting them in the soil when they get a couple of inches high.  I had to protect them from wood pigeons with netting and pea sticks, but got got by pea weevils, although the peas seem to be fighting back now.  I have pushed extra peas into the area with the end of a pen, and they are coming up now, and the more recent ones have no pea weevil damage - presumably they have moved on to another stage in their life cycle.  I don't think the mice have any interest in the plants - just the seeds, so if you sow elsewhere and replant you might get round them, or it may be that if you plant now, the mice will have moved on.  Pests do seem to have their seasons, and just because you got got three weeks ago, doesn't mean that you won't succeed by planting again now.  And pea seeds are plentiful and cheap, so just keep trying.  Maybe sow so many that the mice don't have room for them all and leave you some!!

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,053

I grow mine in short lengths of guttering under cover and when they are about 4 inches high transplant them into the garden this way I can lay the seed out onto a damp kitchen towel until they chit and then plant them into the guttering works every time foolproof.

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Mice? Oh no, last year I saw a lone squirrel trying its luck, but as I live on river decided it must have swam to my garden. image  I'll try sowing another crop as I really don't have any room to grow anything else under cover. 

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

If you succeeded last year, there is no reason why you can't succeed this year!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,316

Caral, start some peas off in small 3 inch pots (3 or 4 to a pot) and plant them out once they are a few inches tall.  Mice are only interested in the seed so young pea plants will be ignored.  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.