courgette seedlings

H7H7 Posts: 15

i am new to growing veg ,my courgette seedlings are all in individual pots but after being in sun some leaves are drying out ,how do i restore them

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

Drying out how? Changing colour? Crisping up? In the meantime, the most common problem with seedlings is overwatering, causing leaves to turn pale. Awaiting further into.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Taking them out of the sun and into shade would have been a good idea. Also, if the compost was dry, a good drink would have perked them up a bit.

• h_sheph_shep Posts: 4

i have been moving them in and out of sun but compost is moist .some off leaves had crispened

Are they true leaves or the very first leaves that appeared when the seed germinated, the cotyledons? If they're the very first leaves, they will usually die off as the plant grows.

• h_sheph_shep Posts: 4

yeh they are the first leaves i have repotted in compost that wasnt as wet as other ones

Okay, the very first leaves - cotyledons - that appear after germination are what nourish the baby plant. As true leaves form and nourish the plant, the cotyledons' use is over and they usually change colour to yellow or almost white and usually fall off. Or you can take them off once they've faded.

Good idea not to have the mix too wet, too.

• H7H7 Posts: 15

thanx i trimmed off the driest part of leaves on 3 plants and seems to have worked i have also put the coolglass shading on my plastic greenhouse which has helped too especially with this hot sun this week

• Karen7Karen7 Posts: 9

I agree with the advice given. Once your plants are a little larger with a few more leaves, start putting them outside during the day, in a cool spot at first, then putting them back in the greenhouse at night. Do this for about a week to acclimatise the plant to growing conditions outside, before planting it in its final spot.

• H7H7 Posts: 15

2 of my courgette seedlings have taken off now, since i repotted and cut off the dry part of first leaves off,i also bought a courgette plant for £1 just in case mine dont turn out ssshhhh our secret ha ha ha

• YewJayYewJay Posts: 27

I grow 'Parthenon' self pollinating courgettes from seed in a Polytunnel which does get quite hot, but as long as they are kept watered they produce well.  I have two fruit on each of my two plants that are 3" long, with many more showing.  Once they get going I seldom pick less than four to five fruit per week, at 6 to 8 inches long.