Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lavender

Last week i took a good load of lavender cuttings  and so far there good,today i noticed the lavender i took the cuttings from has just started to show its about to think of flowering, question is am i too late now or can i proceed and remove the tiny tips, or do I have to wait till Autumn and do hardwood cuttings,manythanks.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I would wait till Autumn.

• LilydotwinLilydotwin Posts: 30

Keep the cuttings you took and see if they root. Two years ago I took out a big lavender bush to make room for some roses, in February. I took cuttings and stuck them round the rim of a large pot filled with soil from the base of the big bush. I kept it in a cold greenhouse until the frosts and snow were over and then put it outside and forgot about it. I was amazed to find that most of the cuttings had taken, and now have lots of little bushes just about to come into flower. Plants don't always obey the rules! They want to live. You can always take more cuttings later in the year if you need to.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Is it the cuttings that look as though they are going to flower? If so, just pinch off the flowers. They should still root - I have had better success with softwood cuttings than hardwood cuttings.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller