Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

green tom picle

Hi again, can i simply  put the pickle back into the pan to reduce it more as its too runny,its 3 months old bottled up and been kept in the fridge ,tastes good but a little vinegary and thinish, last years was great recipe from here on G/W. I cant think of anything i can thicken it up with without heating again,,heres hoping image  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi Alan, yes you can simmer it in a pan for a bit longer to evaporate some liquid off - use as wide and shallow a pan as you can as that will aid evaporation - don't forget to stir or it'll catch on the bottom.  

Remember to sterilise your jars again and heat them up before filling with hot pickle image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Great news that Dove, were really pleased with that, just think all that horrible vinegar smell filling the kitchen AGAIN,as we hav,nt got an extractor fitted yet , Many thanks for that matey, were smelling tonightimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Ooh, I love the way the house smells at pickling time image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.