Forum home Plants

Mystery bulb !

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Whilst totally clearing the flowerbed when we moved in, I found two bulbs that were about the size of my fist.  I thought I'd put them back in and see what happened, no idea what they could be.  

They came up last year and didn't flower, and have appeared again this year. Any idea what they might be ? 

Its a mystery i tell you. 

Thank you for your patience with me asking sooo many questions.  I now play the game of can I ID any plants people put up to test my growing knowledge imageimage

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Peanut I,m a novice,very much so, to me it looks like an iris? I have a similar one that also didn't,t flower last year , someone who knows will be along!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

I wonder about  Crinum powelli. They're large bulbs, very large eventually and their leaf arrangement is like that

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

ooh wow, thank you so much, will look out to see if we get some flowers this year. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

not crinum, their leaves are about 2" / 5cm wide. don't know what it is though.

Devon.

Hi Mike, lovely to have you back and hope you are recovering well and sitting out in the sunshine whilst you can. 

Errm it was Feb 2013 I dug it over, the bulb did look rather like a Crinum type bulb, and it was the size of my fist.  The biggest bulb I'd ever seen, hence chucking it back in to see what it became.  I thought it may have been like an allium type bulb, but bought some of those and they bore no resemblance.  Will just have to try the waiting game I guess.  Patience not my virtue 

Not much help I'm afraid.  

how wide are the leaves?

Morning Nutcutlet, I've just measured the leaves and they range from 2.5 - 3.5cm wide. I see i now have 2 large ones and 2 smaller ones there.  Something is starting to eat the leaves, so may need to protect them so we can figure out what this is. 

My money is still on crinumimage

• Den 246Den 246 Posts: 23

So is mine as I have a potted plant identical to that which is crinum and didn't flower last year.