Plant Pouch

I bought a plant pouch today along with some trailing Lobelia and trailing Begonias.The plants were bought from a lovely little plant stall in a nearby village with all proceeds going to a donkey sanctuary.Everything was going according to plan until I realised the slits in the pouch were too small for the root balls of the plants.Cue some furious cutting of the slits with scissors.I suppose what I should have done was buy plants in smaller cell trays rather than home grown plants with big bulky root balls *duh* However I enjoy supporting charities if I can and appreciate the hard work the lovely lady does in growing all those plants.Each root ball had to be trimmed down while still trying to maintain enough roots to give the plants a good start. Anyway the task was achieved plus planting up my battered old hanging basket too.Both pouch and basket are looking a bit sorry for themselves right now but then they normally do just after being put together.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,613

Fishy..........I did the same last year and you are right............fiddling around trying to get a quart into a pint pot just makes you lose the will to liveimage

I have used the Pouches before......a good few years ago and they were reasonably successful....probably because I used small cell grown stuff that I raised myself and so could plant at the right size.

Sad to say, the only use I have for them at the moment is for Strawberries which I planted as runners last year.............they are not hanging up but just laying along the sleepers round my veg patch.....basically tiny grow bagsimage

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,774

Hi Fishy,

Are these the plastic pouches that fit 12 plants down the front? I had a right mare with mine too and I'm surprised the plants survived all the poking and prodding quite franklyimage

At least yours was for a good causeimage

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415

HI VS, loved your new swear phrase...right mare...predictive text strikes again haha, I've had some corkers lately. Off subject but hasn't it been fabulous weather in our corner of the NE.

I've never used those pouches I thought they would be difficult  to water, ie water running out the holes. I'm more of a terracotta pot person, nowt posh B and Q. I'm busy potting pelargoniums and am lining the pots with black plastic to see if that slows down the drying out. No doubt it will now rain for a month.

Isn't that a phrase 'a right mare' image That's what I meant to say- maybe I made it upimage

Yes Bilje, weather has been super round here, my soil is starting to bake and crackimage So no slugs for now.

You're right about the holes in the pouches and I thought about taping them up after last years experience but when it came to it I was just too lazy... I suppose if I don't let them completely dry out the water won't run down the insides and straight out the bottom. Also this year I used the peat free verve stuff and it seems to have a different composition like it won't solidify when dry...have to see how that goesimage

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415

Sorry  VS thought you meant nightmare... I've used a right concoction of compost this year. Cheap as chips but ok compost from Aldi mixed half and half with topsoil and a sprinkle BFB. This is for reasonably large pots. I still struggle to find a decent compost for seeds and cuttings, some seem to really hold on to water and little plants struggle.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

My top tip to squeeze your plants into the holes is to pop the root ball into a food bag and the shove/pull the bag through. Should result in less damage to the plant and reduce compost loss. Remove bag once plant in place image

That is a good idea 4thpandaimage

Even after 120 plants I hadn't thought of a better idea than rolling the roots into a sausage... I'll remember that one for next yearimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,224
    Thank you 4thPanda that's a good idea. I've used pouched before and have strawberries in another one like you have Philippa image Yep they're the ones VS,green plastic. Previously I've used smaller plants in cells and when that's the case I think pouches work well. However,now I've had to widen the slits I'm a little concerned about the compost becoming too exposed to air and drying out.I'll just have to keep up the watering.