Forum home Talkback

RHS Chelsea

This was the first year that I've been to RHS Chelsea Flower Show and would like to ask those of you who have been before if repetition of flowers runs through the show gardens is common. I’m specifically talking about Aquilegia ‘Ruby Port’, It seemed to be in every show garden at Chelsea.

I understand that certain flowers are used a lot due to their popularity and seasonality, but for so many designers to have used exactly the same cultivar I find a bit strange. Do the designers collaborate to discuss their planting list to create continuity throughout the show or does the RHS suggest that they use certain plants in their design. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Steve

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

It's probably new, something new often floods Chelsea. 

Then they flood the GCs

• ightenighten Posts: 184

Have them my self... The designers are apparantly not allowed to discuss what they are using as was discussed a cpl of nights ago on BBC - however I know they all approach pretty much the same nurserys so its hardly that surprising they do end up using quite a lot of the same..

In fact Crocuses own description of Aquilegia ‘Ruby Port’ is "a favourite with designers"

• Ah ok, thanks. That makes some sense. Not that I was complaining, I really liked the Aquilegia. 

• John mcleodJohn mcleod Posts: 74
    This was featured a lot in at gardening scotland last year where I purchased a plant and it is one if my favourite aquilegia
  • yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

It's a stunning aquilegia.  The name also is very suggestive of the colour which draws you in.

On similar colour schemes in some of the gardens, when Joe and Monty were having a kind of summary chat - Joe did comment about the similar plantings over different gardens - lot of purple, whites and green everywhere.  I felt that about the 'big' gardens although I only watched on tv so obviously missed a great deal.