Is this all Campanula Portenschlagiana?

I know there is a weed on the left hand top corner of the first picture, but the whole thing seems overrun to me.  I planted tiny little plants in April 2013 and kept them well weeded all last year.

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Sorry, the weed that I know about is on the 2nd picture.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,785

That's what that  particular campanula does - I pull it all up every year - every year it grows back to look just like yours image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Oh dear.  Is there any way of calming it down?  I just wanted a carpet of colour in that plot for the summer without too much work.  If I trim it all back now, do you think I'll lose the flowers for this summer?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

I think that one could be C. poscharskyana. Trailing bell flower. 

It looks like it and your description of its growth sounds like it

I think it would have another go at flowering. But you will have a carpet of flowers for little effort

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,785

I always get confused between those two - but I've got the one that grows back from nothing to 18* tall in a matter of a fortnight!

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Ideas of world dominationimage

Mm, not sure.  I don't really like the "wild, overgrown, world domination look" image   I'm fairly sure that it's Campanula Portenschlagiana, at least that's what I bought anyway and I always keep a record of what I have planted on a spread sheet.   It may have to be dug up and I can feel a quick trip to our local nursery coming on ...

Those two names are similarly unpronounceable and they are often wrongly labelled.

If you check on the RHS website or in the big RHS book you'll see the difference, 

Nutcutlet, yes I see what you mean.  I think my flowers are more like the poscharskyana. 

Dovefromabove, when you say you dig yours up each year and it comes back - does that mean it's really hard to get rid of completely, like the dreaded wild garlic and celadine?