Forum home Plants

Clematis ID

Sharon 2014Sharon 2014 Posts: 20

I have this growing through a rose near my front door.  It is in flower now, large flowers which are reaching up to the sun.  Quite contained, not rampant. Flower size about 4" across. Yes, it is darker on the edges and a softer red/pink in the middle of the leaves.... any ideas which one it is?  I searched and found 'Bourbon' but then discovered that was a 'new' variety, and this one has been in situ for at least 10 years.

• It is Ville de Lyon ( Entered in the old Green fingers book )

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,167

Hi Sharon, I had a look on Taylor's Clematis site and it looks like 'Pink Champagne'. Take a look at their site, or just google the name and see if it looks a likely guess image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sharon 2014Sharon 2014 Posts: 20

Hi - thanks Janet & Fairygirl... that's great.  I'll check out Ville de Lyon and also look at Pink Champagne.  In a way it doesn't matter what it is, it seems to like where it is and is giving a lovely splash of colour against my cream wall.  The pink rose comes next. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579

I'd go with Ville de Lyon - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=550

Pink champagne has more, and pointier, tepals - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=611

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Sharon 2014Sharon 2014 Posts: 20

Yes, I agree with Ville de Lyon now I've checked it out. 

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    Does anyone know which Clematis this might be. I have been letting it run though the 
    Corylus Avellana Contorta, for some years and having pruned back the Corylus in late spring the clematis has taken over. The individual flowers are 18cm in diameter. There are so many similar flowers this may be a difficult ask. Thank you for any help.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

Mrs N Thompson seems likely to me - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=333 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 516
    Hi sorry for jumping on an old thread. I have this planted with jasmine accidentally. Is it possible to hard prune this group clematis and still get flowers or should I dig it up and pass it on to someone else? 
    Do you mean Mrs N Thompson?   She's a group 2 so normally gets a light prune after the first flush of flowers so late June/early July.  Give them a good feed, water generously thru dry spells and you get a second flush in late summer/early autumn.

However, I always used to treat group 2s as group 3s in my last garden and that meant cutting them back hard in March and then giving it a good feed.   You then get one, longer flush of flowers thru summer.

It's a bit late to do that this year but you could try cutting back every stem to 2 or 3 leaves or buds above the base and feeding and watering and see what happens.   It might respond well but flower late.   Worth a try and then treat it as a group 3 every spring.
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 516
    THANKS @Obelixx that's what I was wondering. I'll do that!