Forum home Plants

Is this a kind of Euphorbia ?

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I noticed this in the school sensory garden today.  Is this a euphorbia ?  If so which type. 

Did I see Monty wearing rubber gloves when he handled a euphorbia the other week ?  If so is it really suitable in a children's infant school sensory garden ? 

thank you. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996

Yes, one of the weedier ones. I would remove it, as it soon seeds all over the place.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

ok, thanks, shame as it is a stunning plant, but I've certainly avoided and pulled any any euphorbia's I've had due to young children being near. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,467

I think might be the caper spurge type. I don't know if some are more irritant than others because I pull up sun spurges all the time and haven't noticed anything...

• LiznessLizness Posts: 79

I wouldn't have it in a children sensory garden, euphorbia's sap is horrid especially if got in eyes/delicate skin!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

There have been a lot of ID requests for Caper Spurge this year.  I wonder if the last winter (what there was of it) particularly suited them, or maybe they are becoming more common in the wild?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • OkraOkra Posts: 8

'My' identical euphorbia appeared last year, there were a few of them but I only kept two. It's such a striking plant, but mine are in a little corner, with no children around.

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

As a child, my mother treated a wart on my hand with the sap from an euphorbia!

Interesting article on the toxicity of euphorbias - http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3133/