Mulching lawn mower

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947

I am in the market for a new lawn mower. I currently have a petrol one with a pull start. I want one with a key start. The question is - should I get a mulching mower or not? Has anyone got experience of one and is it a good idea?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

I have recently purchased a Honda Mulcher Mower that I use for my churchyard. I've only had it a month or so, but it is so far a good machine.

If the grass isn't too long it cuts it up into small pieces which it then returns to the lawn as a mulch to feed the grass. If the grass is a bit longer, there's a shoot on the side that can be opened to discharge the grass.

I am pleased with my purchase but would say that I have it as a second machine and wouldn't have one as my only mower because I want the grass closer to the house collected so that its not walked in doors which would go down like a lead balloon with my lovely wife.

I believe you can buy machines that have both options which is certainly worth considering. I purchased my Mulcher because I cut the grass in a large churchyard and it would be a nightmare to have to collect and dispose so much grass. Far too much too compost. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947

I find petrol mowers quite heavy and I thought a mulching mower would be a lot lighter. Is this the case? To buy one that mulches as well as collects is double the price of either of them. I don't know anyone with a mulching mower. Does the cut grass lie on top of the grass making it look untidy or is it cut fine enough to be invisible?

• Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

My Honda Mulcher is pretty much the same weight as my Hayter Petrol Mower. Maybe even slightly heavier because it's slightly wider. Both are petrol machines.

Depends on how long you allow the grass to grow. If the grass isn't too long it is cut up into very small pieces that are fine enough to be invisible. But if you allow the grass to get a bit longer (a couple of weeks growth) it will sit on the top of the grass.  

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,587

A lot of mowers have an adaptor which plugs into the outlet where the bag normally sits to convert to a mulching process so it shouldn't be necessary to have an either / or problem.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

High, KT53 is right, we purchased a Qualcast, Brigs and Stratton self propelled petrol mower for £199 from Homebase ,I searched everywhere and looked at loads of mowers and I was very surprised to find such a good mower for that price,it has the choice of mulching as KT says a simple plug in adapter which works very well, easy pull start and very simple to use,so far no probs at all.

Alan.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,587

I bought the same mower from Homebase, and have replaced it after a year.  It's the worst mower I've ever had.  From the start it hasn't cut well and started scalping the lawn irrespective of the height setting.  It would have had to go back to the manufacturer to be checked out so I would have to be without a mower potentially for weeks - not practical in the summer months.  Maybe I was just unlucky but I won't touch Qualcast again with a barge pole!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947

I have done a total about turn and bought a Bosch battery powered mower. It is only 13kgs so a third of the weight of a petrol mower. I am hoping it is the best compromise between weight and ease of use (not self propelled). I will let you know how I get on - it arrives tomorrow!