Forum home Plants

chatham island daisy bush propagation

raglanraglan Posts: 2

I live on the North Yorkshire coast ....700ft above the Sea ...one side of the house faces due North ...no land straight to the Artic circle!

I originally wanted to plant a hedge (to shield the North West winds) and was told plant 'The Chatham Island Daisy Bush'...on checking this bush out I find I already have a 20ft by 5ft Specimen! So my question to anyone out there is ....Cuttings from this Mother plant...best practice...best time ...best conditions....I would hope to clone 50 /70 new bushes to form hedges around the garden...Anybody please help!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,816

I think you'll find this interesting reading http://croftgarden.wordpress.com/tag/olearia-traversii/ and full of information. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I'm amazed you can grow this so well where you are in the North East.... I grew this in Cornwall where I found it's rapid growth to be almost the equal of Leylandii or Eucalyptus... on the south coast near Eastbourne, I expected it to do just as well, I grew a hedge of it, got to 6 foot, but it was cut down by half during a moderate winter there, lots of snow....  so this is why I'm so surprised at your success with it where you are.... I notice from the link above, those people are in the outer Hebrides... so on the western side, which I always thought more favourable...

...one of my favourite evergreens.... I hope you are able to grow your cuttings.. they don't seem to be difficult judging by the people in the link there... it's a pity it's not a little hardier as it would suit so many purposes for screening - blocking out neighbours etc... as it has a tall narrow habit, at least initially...

• Hello,it is our garden on the Isle of South Uist that has the Olearia shelter belt. It is very windy here and we're exposed in all directions to winfs than can top 80mph, but we have a mild climate virtually frost free. The plants grow in what is virtually sand and grow 18 inches a year. They are planted at 12 in intervals, and you need at least 3 rows for a windy site and some protection at base level while they get established. Don't worry if they blow over, as long as the roots are still in the ground they will sort themselves out. We take cuttings in the autumn, plant in situ and cover with enviromesh for wind protection, as soil is very sandy we have a 99% take. You can also put cutting in individual pots, trays or nursery beds are not so good so rot development is rapid. Our hedge is now topping 6ft and we will have to start trimming to maintain the density and stability. You will get some leaf burn with very strong winds, but the plants survive and grow new leaves even when completely stripped of leaves. One caveat not sure how it would cope with severe frost.

Good luck, it not only does the job, but is an attractive evergreen.