Forum home Plants

What is affecting my courgettes?

Hi, I have been growing my courgettes for a few weeks now and I have noticed that something is starting to affect the leaves. They have blotchy patches of dark green/grey that starts on the outskirts of the leaf and moves inwards. I have no idea what this is, can anyone help me?

• The plants have been grown inside and I haven't seen any signs of caterpillars. I'm worried it might be some sort of mildew or virus. Don't know what to do.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Catherine I haven't seen this before and I grow courgettes, to me it looks like a virus. I can't see anything in my book regarding courgettes and problems that looks quite like yours.

I would destroy the plant ( don't compost it) and thoroughly disinfect your pot and windowsill. It isn't too late to grow another courgette.

Best I can offer image

• Thanks, I kind of figured it would be something like that. Thought it might be mosaic virus, but no sure. Just found it's now infecting my cucumbers whatever it is. Really bummed out about it image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Catherine it did look a bit like mosaic disease but a bad case image I dunno how you've got it but I'd scrap the lot and start again still time for new cumbers & courgettes.

Toms & chillies develop some virus if in contact with nicotine but can't help about mosaic disease.  

Hope you have another go and get some crops image

• Found this site about downy mildew. Photos shown kind of look like mine. What does anyone else think?

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/NewsArticles/Cuc_Downy.htm

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Are they in direct sunlight? They just look frazzled to me

• They were in the windowsill at the front of the house that gets a lot of sun most of the day. Could be that. I've removed them from the sill now though, so I'll see if they pick up.

• Here's another photo of the early stages before the brown spots form.