Mistaken identity

A neighbour has given me several plants stating they were Mexican hot peppers, so I potted them up and they growing fantastically in the greenhouse but I have a feeling they are cabbages! The leaf is nothing like any other pepper plants I have seen ! 

Any ideas ? 

Will post a pic later 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,252

Not hard to tell a pepper from a cabbage so if it looks like a cabbage it probably is one. Cabbage leaves have that distinctive cabbagy smell, are there enough leaves to test one?

• BillyjoBillyjo Posts: 28

My thoughts exactly , just wanted to check that it was not a species of pepper I was unaware of , they definately look like they are from the brassica family ! He he 

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 677

They certainly don't look like any peppers or chilis I've ever seen, and do look suspiciously like some sort of brassicas.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,183

Maybe Hot Cabbage ?image

Bumped into neighbour who gave me the above , yes they are a cabbage, spring I think , he r are growing great guns in the allotment , mine still in the greenhouse doing well. She said the packet definitely said hot mexican bell and the seeds were 9 years old! Oh well may be making some mexican coleslaw with them. Lol