Forum home Fruit & veg

Cucumber babies - male or female?

Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I am delighted to announce that my cucumber plants have produced flowers image However I wondered if my lovely friends on here could help me with the male/female thing as according to AT in my borrowed book I need to remove the males.

The first pic I think are both males and the second pic I think is a female (it has a little cucumber behind it).

Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,872

Looks as if you've sussed it right to me image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Thanks Dove, I thought it was but just wanted reassurance from the experts before I start taking flowers off! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,872

Expert??? Never grown a cucumber in my life - but the principle's the same with courgettes, marrows, squashes, people etc image  Boys don't have babies, girls do image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Well I've gone from having 5 flowers to having 1!  I was very excited about all the flowers until I remembered I had to take some off image It seems the boys are definitely outnumbering the girls so far on my cucumber plants image

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

So much easier if you buy all female flower cucumber seeds!

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,113

I was just about to say the same thing...........saves all this "sexist" malarkey OLimage

I know and I will be doing next year but these were seeds I had already that were free with a magazine so thought I might as well use them image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

OL which variety are they?  

They are Marketmore 76 KEF
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Ol I've not grown MM so have had a Google. They grow outdoors but no problem in GH, I can't see any info about removing male flowers, it isn't an F1 hybrid so I honestly don't know if you need to or not.  Best I can say is do as you're doing unless seed packet says different. Enjoy, I love home grown cucumbers especially the small lunch box varieties image We can chat about them next spring image