Forum home Talkback

Greenhouse Shading

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,203

Hello O/L went to B & Q today , the Greenhouse shading they sell is 2-7 m x 1 -8 m and costs £21.98 the product code is 70625B

best of luck image

Hello , I don't disagree with Mike but for ease and cost , simple shading inside an aluminium greenhouse does work

Ventilation is very important and damping the floor also works well 

Lets hope we have a good summerimage

• I shade mine from the inside of the greenhouse too and it works fine for me....shading from the outside involves its own problems during high winds.

Of course, the Victorians had a the right idea when the used teak slated rolls that could be rolled up or down as required.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Funny you should post about that David. I was only thinking last night about getting some old blinds to afix within DIY runner jobbies to the inside of the greenhouse when we rebuild it to open and close as the worst of the summer hits.

• Yes, Clarington......I've used all manner of things over the years One that proved very cheap & effective was old net curtains hung in place with those stretchy, plastic covered curtain wires.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

What an amazing co incidence just look at the dates of the older posts... It seems it is warmer this time of year.. 

I have a new greenhouse this year and the methods of shading last year did not last very long..  So I am again seeking ideas..  So far on one side of the pitched roof inside I have lined it with white plastic but ran out.  So then I used sheets of white A4 card..  Have run out of that now too... 

Bring back Windoleme   image  

BLT , yes amazing , the days of the old postings , looks like a couple of very sunny ☀️ weeks are ahead of us , need to put the g/h shading upimage Best of luck with yours image

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

On reading the old thread I found out there is sone kind of shading kit from B&Q.. I wonder if 3 yrs later it is still stocked by them..

This is my first season with a proper GH, I have triedplastic grow houses, not good.. So I opted for a poly carbonate gh and I wish I had done this yeas ago..  Everything is growing so much better..    I am looking forward to a bumper harvest this time around..

I have an excess of tomato plants, I have given a lot away but still have a good amount.. I find I am self suficient all year round on tomoatoes and garlic lol  Runner beans this year will be good too and I am growing some experimental beans.. The Cherokee Trail of Tears beans..

Sent to me by anative american friend.image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,932

We have just erected a new polytunnel which comes with a green filament net that gets slung over and tied down for the summer to filter light.

On Beechgrove Garden, they show roller blind type kits held along the ridge of the greenhouse that just get let down over the roof when shading is needed.  Handy for early summer when hot days can be followed by cool spells.  No painting, no cleaning it all off, no messing.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

BLT , some years we have a surplus of tomatoes ? plants , even after giving some away , so we stick them in pots for outside , one year they did better than the g/h ones