Rabbits...

Hi All

So a pheasant, squirrels, hedgehogs and occasionally foxes come to our garden and at night I can hear an owl. 

However, we now have rabbits... grr!! 

I have cloche'd all my veg or put chicken wire around it but the rabbit droppings and 3 young children don't mix. 

Is there a way to deter them? Or a way to attract something that will eat them image 

Thanks!

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,186

Depending on the size of your garden, rabbit proofing the perimeter would probably be the best way to go..............but you need to sink the fencing 18" or so to make it effectiveimage

There are Falconry groups who may well be happy to use your garden to train their birds but I suppose you would be very lucky to find one near you.

Other posters will have some ideas/advice so don't despair just yetimage 

• NickyBNickyB Posts: 69

Thank you... unfortunately I love the other wildlife and don't mind it they come 'occasionally' but the whole family is here now image including tiny ones ! ARGH!

The garden is 150ft+ so I fear that it would be cheaper to move house hahah! image

Little blighters.... I am considering buying a Falcon to get them! Grr!! image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,935

A good rabbit proof fence would be your first line of defence, one were the chicken wire is buried under ground and then turned outward to stop them burrowing under.

A terrier would be another good choice if you like dogs. You don't mention mice, now they don't like onions and garlic or the smell of FBB so surrounding your plot with either or would in part deter mice although you can't plant onions/garlic each year in the same spot. 

Fox's like the smell of FBB and go after rabbits. A sprinkling of FBB would be another good choice, attract a fox to kill the rabbits, unless it's an urban fox which has adapted to eat stuff from bins most will leave your veg alone, I maybe wrong on this latter point though?    

Also try planting some stuff which rabbits don't eat, it's my understanding they leave fruit bushes alone and rubarb.

Apart from the fence, I'm trying out some of the above stuff this year on a new allotment for the first time so can't speak from experience. The information was gained from reading books and stuff on the internet, someone else maybe able to offer better advise...   

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,935

Chicken wire bought in small lengths is expensive but bought in 50m lengths it's alot cheaper. I bought 50m x 1m with 25mm holes for about £40 on line with free P & P in a sale. Posts purchased from a wood merchants are a fraction of the cost of those in GC's.  I needed 20, the whole fence around the allotment cost less than £80.

When you consider the fence will be there for a good number of years, it's a good investment in unspoiled veg.

The rabbits on our allotments are so braizen they can be seen running around on the track up the centre of the plots some mornings.  

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

I'm with Zoomer44 on the fencing.  We also had rabbit problems but got our whole garden fenced.  It cost us about £250 cos we had to get someone into do it because our boundary was quite awkward to get to.  We now wave to the rabbits who sit longingly on the OTHER side of our fence image image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Nicky, you say your garden is 150ft, but how big is your veg patch? Unless you have the whole garden as a veg patch, then just fence the veg patch.

• John HardingJohn Harding Posts: 473

Get a couple of ferrets as pets and let them loose in the garden at night QED!

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

But Dave, rabbits eat plants and flowers too!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

If you live in the country then rabbits are something you live with like all the other wildlife. Rabbit droppings aren't harmful to children, they will only eat them once.

Rabbits have been around since roman times, so fence the veg patch and plant rabbit proof plants. Oh and get a terrier and a cat.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I don't quite get the rabbit droppings/children comment?? I always had a pet rabbit as a child and my boys did too, the only reason we don't have a rabbit now is that the last one got 'taken' my a fox so I wouldn't get another. I never ate rabbit droppings and neither did my children, I suppose it's just what you teach them?

I can understand you not wanting the rest of your garden ruined as I would also be gutted, but like Dave says it's a chance you take if you live in the countryside. The best solution I would say is to get a dog - hound or terrier image