Forum home Plants

Is this Arum Lily?

NickyBNickyB Posts: 69
Hi Please could you help. I have done a google search and have found something that seems to be an Arum Lily? (Sp?) They are all over the garden and I thought it was a weed but am guessing not. Just looking for a definitive answer on if these are them? Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Have you got a picture Nicky.

Might these be Arum maculatum if you think they're weeds.

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/L/LordsAndLadies/LordsAndLadies.htm

• NickyBNickyB Posts: 69

Thank you for your quick response. Was having problems adding the photo from my phone. 

They are all in really shaded places. There are around 20 under a very large Weeping Willow and around 5 under a large Bay Tree. 

Thanks in advance 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Arum italicum marmoratum is the garden version with the marbled leaves.

Thank you image 

I didn't notice them at all last year... this year they are HUGE ! 

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

It is indeed a very good year for these for some reason, they grow under my large red sycamore where they are welcome, but I don't want them leaking out elsewhere.  Last year the red berries were spectacular - maybe they have just got mature enough to do well. 

• Bridget2Bridget2 Posts: 31

They could be dragon arum which can grow quite tall and has beautiful flowers a bit like wild flower cuckoo pint but much larger and a deep burgundy colour. Just one thing a couple of days after the bloom has opened it has the smell of rotting meat this is to attract fly's to pollinate it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

They look very different Bridget, these are what fidget said they are.

I love those big purple ones, they don't smell for too long and they're impressive to look at. I have a feeling mine aren't going to flower this yearimage