Forum home Plants

day lilies?

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i dug up some daylilies a year ago to lay lawn when we moved here,er...well i think they're daylilies, now i'm afraid i don't like lilies so i dumped them in a pot in a shady corner and didn't even plant them, they have good foliage and i'd like to give them away, is there any chance they may flower? or will they now if i pot up and move into sun?

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Yes, they'll be fine.  They're ok in the shade. They just don't flower as much.  Flowering time is later in the summer so if give some sun then they should perform.  Although as each flower only lasts for a day they are much better on mass I think than in a pot.

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

They flower best if they have at least 6hrs sun each day, flowering time varies with the variety, some of mine are budding up nicely at the moment, they are fine in pots.

• DaisyheadcaseDaisyheadcase Posts: 315

You can't kill them.  They may not flower this year but plant them out or pot them up and they'll be fine.  You can always divide them to make more.  They say spring or autumn is the best time for this but anytime is fine, it just means they won't flower this year.

I dug one up when I moved seven years ago and left it in a plastic bag outside in the shade for 5 years.  Two years ago I realised it was still alive and so planted it out in the autumn of 2012.  The picture above is what it looked like last summer.  It's even bigger this year but no flowers as yet.  I love these plants, they're virtually indestructible.  Enjoy yours image