Forum home Talkback

too hot for cucumbers?

Over the past few days I've had some really hot weather, hotter than 20 degrees and 2 of my cucumber seedlings have died. Could the heat be killing them?

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005
    Are you sure they have died - sometimes they flop and a good watering will suddenly revive them. Mine are in the greenhouse which has got hot, and I water them every day, and they seem to be okay, but maybe that is because they are at a later stage of development. In weather like this you could probably grow the outdoor varieties outside, and just pop them indoors if there is going to be a cold night.
  • They have definitely died, gone brown and shrivelled and completely floppy. Been watering them every day and there is no sign of them suddenly springing to life at all
    You could possibly start again with quick growing variety, or alternatively, pick up some plants from the GC to give yourself a head start.
  • Were would i get a quick growing variety from? And what's a GC?
    Garden Centre - ours sells most vegetable plants. Not the same as growing your own from seed though, but at this stage you might want to catch up with where you would have been if the others had survived. On my Gardener's World veg planting wallchart (infinitely more useful than the World Cup wallchart my husband will be putting up very soon!) it says that you can plant outdoor cucumbers in May and June, so plenty of time. I am growing Marketmore, which people on here seem to approve of. It will grow outside, and having tried other varieties and not even got as far as raising a seedling, I was really impressed with the fact that I only planted six seeds, and I got six seedlings. It has grown pretty fast, and my first cucumber is quite big now. Also, the seeds were a cheap brand - country value I think, so not much outlay, and I still have some left for next year. So I think it would be a good choice. The cucumbers are small, but the plant produces lots, so you just keep picking new ones. Hope that helps. I think seedlings find it harder to tolerate high temperatures than established plants. Where cucumbers come from is pretty hot though. Don't let them dry out, but don't overwater either. Plant them on a small mound so that water flows away from the stem, because sitting water will quickly rot it.
  • Thanks for the advice i really appreciate it
  • Were did you get your market more seeds from?
    The garden centre I think (am compulsive seed gatherer!) I think Marketmore is quite a common variety though, so you may find it in places like Wilcos, or Lidl had quite a range of seeds last month - am just trying some of their basil seed for 29p. Or some mainstream supermarkets, or B & Q. Also the discount warehouse JTF, but they are not UK wide - just in the north and midlands. You could probably get it from Thompson and Morgan by post, or JParkers, or Marshalls Seeds catalogue - if you order online you could have them in a couple of days maybe?
  • Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it image
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

Hello , personally I have given up trying to grow from seed and buy from the local G/C and have always been brilliant 

best of luck whatever you decided to doimage