Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Happy days

Just popped into our local garden centre looking to buy a plant for my new bed, could only really afford to get one when I saw a stand with perennial plants being sold for 99p so bought 8, poppies, verbena and some others. So theres me thinking I could only get one plant from the change in my purse and I end up with 8 image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I love a good bargainimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

that's a bargain and they will be the best .image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I did exactly that today philippa...image

Only bought four plants as they didn't have the things I really went for...it would have been rude to leave with nothing.image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005
    I popped into the garden centre last weekend with the littlies. We came back with some roses. They were 3 for 12 quid. One of them was Gloire de Dijon. I don't have anywhere for a climbing rose. So at some time I will have to pop in again and buy a rose arch to grow it up. The other two were some floribundas called English Miss. I have yet to raid the stores for all the bare root roses they have to sell off quick for 50p, but it's that time of year..... We love the garden centre. It's a trip out - they have animatronic dinosaurs and dry ice and a sand pit. And the cafe is really nice, and pretty reasonable, and you can always get a table - lovely cakes and scones. Christmas time is an experience to behold. Lincolnshire has the best garden centres anywhere in my opinion, cos land here is so cheap they can develop themselves indefinitely, and do!!
  • I love going to the 'casualty' corner and 'rescuing' the sad looking plants! So far I have been very lucky as most of them have taken and many have given me lovely displays for several years !

• sunnysarahsunnysarah Posts: 62

I shall have a look out for said corner in my local GC

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Busy your TC sounds lovely, our local one is ok, very rarely has sell off corner and is run by the most negative chap who seems to enjoy scorning my questions and ideas and generally making me feel like an idiot...only go as my little girl likes to see the fish and the resident cat! We live by botanical gardens I like to get plants from sales there or nearby charity city farm,got iceberg climbing rose for£ 5 last year, it,s doing really well, hope your glories de Dijon and others do, at 50p fora rose I,d have been a nightmare!

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

That's not at the garden centre, the 50p roses - it's in places like B & M, and The Range, and JTF - Discount Warehouse, and Poundstretcher and the like.  Sometimes Lidl or Aldi, or Morrisons.  It is just a good time for finding bargains is late May.  Not that I've been out much - busy dealing with what I've already got tbh.  Lincolnshire is all about economies of scale I think - we all tend to have big gardens (land is very cheap), and the garden centres are big scale too.  And we all go to them a lot because there's not much else to do here!! A few days back, a new mega-Tesco opened in Lincoln, and the entire retired population of the county have been to take a look. 

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

just bought some plants for a pound re-duced from £3. very good value at BQ they were a little exhausted but soon cured that .

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Firstly, I love that name Sunnysarah and a beautiful sunflower to match image

Anyway, I also love the bargain corner at my local family run GC.  Earlier in the year, as some of you will know, I had new borders put in the back and side of my garden.  I filled it with almost all bargain basement plants, most from the 'rescue centre' as we like to call it at the GC and some from GW.  They have all survived and are doing great.  I also bought a clematis for £1 last autumn, it was more or less dead. I didn't do anything with it (I didn't know how!), I just left it and in spring in produced some shoots.....I was so excited.  Now it is growing brilliantly.

I also bought £1.89 roses from Aldi, not reduced but still cheap, they have grown well although there are no flower buds yet.

So, bargains galore and the borders have cost me far less than a landscape gardener would have charged image