Forum home Talkback

Lavatera Barnsley baby

I have got three wee Barnsley baby plant to put in my new bed... They were going to go at the middle front, fitted in with the sizes of other plants. Until I checked up on the H and S! Even the site I bought them from can't  agree on the same H and S!!! The the RHS site gave me an other H and S.  Could it varies from h 12 in s 10 in to 30 by 24 ...that's a big difference and will make a big impact if put in the wrong place.  Had the same problem with my chamomile research....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,555

They're not small, a metre or more in all directions. 

• image The leaflet that came with them said 16 ins!!!!!!! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,555

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/flowers/flower-plants/cottage-garden-plants/lavatera-barnsley-baby/61329VM

Still a bit bigger than 16 inches but I'd never heard of Barnsley Baby. I thought you meant a baby  Lavatera 'Barnsley'.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I grew Lavatera 'Barnsley Baby' for a while... it grew about 3 foot tall... I found it's flower power a little disappointing... so I've replaced it now with 'Mary Hope'... another shorter growing variety which I'm hoping flowers for a bit longer...and is in full sun...

• Thanks all.... I've put them in the middle middle of the bed as a group n hoping they flower well n stay short.... But they are placed in such a way that I can work round the height/spread issue, if it becomes one. Thanks again. (_image

• Grown up adult lavateras , which I don't grow anymore because for me they were not long lived, grow to 6 ft by 6 ft. You cut them back like a buddlea each spring and they grow tall again.

• But that's not even close to 16ins!!!!! You know, since it has become easier to find information via the net, it just get more confusing. When I designed gardens I would check with a few good reference books n it would be fine, the plants would be the size the books said...