Forum home Talkback

Pine needle cascade???

NapoNapo Posts: 12

This magnificent 30ft Blue Spruce appeared over night to turn brown and then drop

all its needles.image At the very tips however the tree is sending out

new pine leavesimage. I'm flummoxed?image Its not like its been dry?, what with all the rain we

have had. Can anyone out there give me any suggestions, or is it time to cut it down?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,193
    Even evergreen trees lose their 'leaves' at some stage during the year and replace them with new ones - sometimes it happens bit by bit and we hardly notice it, sometimes it happens all at once, probably depending on different weather conditions - if the tree is making new growth I wouldn't start worrying yet. It's probably part of the normal pattern of things.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NapoNapo Posts: 12

Sound advice.  Thanx. So I shall stop worryingimage.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

When you say dropped all the needles do you mean it was completely bare til the new ones at the tips started growing?

That would not be normal.

Turning brown overnight? 

• NapoNapo Posts: 12

Hi cutlet,

Not quite, the needles went brown quickly, (or you could say they appeared to get drier and drier) the new growth on the end was covered with the sheath, the brown needles are still falling off. Now the sheath has popped/ popping off and the new growth is being exposed.? I was looking at all the trees in the local area and have not seen anything similar. So it might be a natural occurrence? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

a photo would help, I'm not very good at visualising plants by description