Forum home Talkback

Yellow Flag (Iris) but not the usual

This is growing among a tub of gone over daffs and tulips. I've been watching it grow for quite a while and today it has opened this rather gorgeous flower.  It's definitely an Iris and we have water meadows full of the yeelow ones and some  of the blue.   know there is a 'cultivated' variety of the yellow with stripey leaves but I cannot find any quite like.  I expected originally it to be something out of the bird seat bag but this couldn't possibly be, could it?

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Not Yellow Flag, Iris pseudacorus. No idea what it is, though!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

It looks like one of those that's sold as Dutch irises.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,346

DorsetUK.......I'd be very impressed if I found that in my garden......tend it very carefully and send me a piece ..............soon pleaseimage

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Hello dorsetUK. It could be one of the beardless iris', but there are four different types that it could be. Very unusual, and lovely though.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I intend to look after it whatever it is but I have nothing like it anywhere else.  And the tub it's growing in is nowhere near my bird feeders but maize seemed the likeliest explanation until the stem flattened out, hence the Iris possibility.  But they don't grow from seed do they? I do have a very deep purple Iris and a sky blue one both in tubs and nowhere near this one.  Having looked up the Bearded Iris I can see there are yellow ones and you can get all sorts of colours so that must be what it is.  Where it came from is likely to remain a total mystery but I don't care about that really.  I will remove all the tulips and daffs with care once it has finished flowering and give it a sunny spot all of it's own. I cannot see any root on the surface which is what iris are suppose to prefer and my others certainly do.  If it does well in future I'll be happy to share especially with other Smithsimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Everything grows from seed except a few hybrids Dorset.

I think it's more likely that it came in with the daffs as bulb

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460
    If you're a member of the RHS you could send them a picture and see if they can identify it.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,346

DorsetUK...........imageimage

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

It was a Dutch Iris and what's more another one appeared later so I've carefully planted them in their own special pot AND bought a load more.  Early this month I also had an Autumn Crocus appear out of nowhere and flourish so they are now on my to buy list. Most of my various spring bulbs are in containers small enough to move around and this year I made a 'bed' under the west facing and very dry  house wall and moved them all there in the containers and left the foliage to die back, I  topped up the  compost and left them to it.  I have been carefully inspecting the contents over the last few weeks and have been astonished at the success of this strategy.  They've all multiplied, none have rotted and all are busy sprouting.  Some I have carefully divided and filled other containers with, all have had further compost added.  Most are now ready for next spring with the addition of winter pansies, violas and  small wallflowers on top.  And I can afford to buy extras such as the  crocus as I haven't had to replace any tulips, daffs, jonquils etc.

I have very limited space, two small narrow borders around the block of flats I live in.  One is a strip at the top of a sharpish south east facing slope, the other on top of the wall holding up the gardens at the northwest facing rear.  For some reason the fence of the property behind us is about a metre away from the wall.  When I moved here that strip was just a rubbish dump really but I even managed to grow tomatoes, runner beans and various salad stuff there this year as well as assorted pots of flowers.  It was all a bit of a change from large farm cottage gardens not to mention a challenge but after 20 years I think I'm winningimage