Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

shrubs

Where can I get some tall shrubs such as bay trees or buxus at a cheap price that I can grow in my front garden to keep my neighbour from looking over the fence? Ideally I would like bay trees for a sculptural look but I have seen the prices!  I have also looked into buying seeds but takes too long for them to grow.  Are seedlings the best way to go or are there other plants I do not know about?  Any help greatly received.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You won't get either bay or buxus cheap anywhere as both grow relatively slowly and the larger specimens take up a lot of nursery time and space, hence the cost. If you can give us an idea of the height you need, aspect and soil conditions then suggestions will come flooding in. A word of warning, instant gardening isn't cheap.

• We have chalky soil in the front garden by the driveway.  I would ideally like a shrub up to three feet which is easy to manage but looks formal or sculptural in shape. Has to be child friendly. Any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Three feet tall won't stop neighbours from looking over - will it image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Its only a low fence.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I'm sorry, I'm totally confused  -  I thought you wanted some shrubs that were taller than the fence to stop the neighbours seeing over image 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    Lonicera nitida comes in green or gold (and variegated but that isn't as vigorous), it grows faster than box and can be trimmed neatly to form a very formal hedge. You can keep it at three feet or let it grow taller though it can get a bit wobbly unless it has some support. It grows easily from cuttings so you can increase your stock at no cost.
  • Thanks