Forum home Talkback

to me it is a mistery

I am not a garden person but I would love to get in to it. I have came across a cup please of things I found going under the kids trampoline. It doesn't look like my everyday weeds I get. One of them looks a bit like dill but no taste or smell of dill.

• I will put photos of the items up as soon as I work out how to. Lol. (the joys of smartphones)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,336

If you can get to a pc you can post a pic by clicking on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions - no idea how to do it from a phone - not even sure if you can - think that's being worked on. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ah h. here we go. thank you Dovefromabove. (love the name. Reminds me of shooting stars many years ago).

Now i am on my PC i will put the photos on.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

I think the first one is fennel and the second one looks like a geranium.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Fennel has a very strong aniseed scent, has it got that Neil?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,336

Hi Neil image  Big Shooting Stars fans here image  Plus our garden's full of pigeons and doves image

Agree that the second looks like a geranium, but don't think the first is fennel - the structure looks wrong to me.  Fennel has a very angular structure with 'branches' going off alternate sides, then the ferny leaves having leaflets in opposite pairs.  

I'm wondering if it's Nigella aka Love in a Mist image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the info. Well it haven't really got any scent so I guess the fennel is out.

I have replanted them at the side of the garden and I guess I will just see what it grows up to be. But at least I now know that it ain't just weeds.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

More photos might help, as they grow rather than in hand.

Can you count the petals on the second one please?

I don't think the top one is nigella. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd go with nut for the first, Nigella.

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Could it be cosmos?  I know it's a bit early ....image