Forum home Plants

Ideas for large pot please

hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81

I have a large tub, which stands almost 2 ft high and measures almost 2ft across. It is filled with compost. I need to put something in it that will tolerate out windy/salty conditions but  that also produces flowers which are good for wildlife.  Can someone suggest something please? I bought a blackcurrant shrub to put in it but didn't notice on the label it says to plant in soil. I could of course remove all the compost and buy bags of soil but can't really be bothered. Plus a couple of the rats are buried in the tub.

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Hi Hartleyhare

Do you want a shrub or permanent plant or would you consider changing the pot on a seasonal basis (avoiding said deceased pets!).  Perhaps something like clary sage which you can use as a herb, gets quite big and the bees love, fennel for the flowers etc?  Perhaps a nice lavender or rosemary? I live on the North Coast of Cornwall and have found that all of the above are fairly robust in strong, salty winds and sea fog!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    This is on the RHS site and may be of some help.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=472
  • hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81
    SFord wrote (see)

Hi Hartleyhare

Do you want a shrub or permanent plant or would you consider changing the pot on a seasonal basis (avoiding said deceased pets!).  Perhaps something like clary sage which you can use as a herb, gets quite big and the bees love, fennel for the flowers etc?  Perhaps a nice lavender or rosemary? I live on the North Coast of Cornwall and have found that all of the above are fairly robust in strong, salty winds and sea fog!

I was thinking of something permanent. I do have a fennel already and lavender and buddliea and rosemary plus lots of other herbs in pots ( went a bit mad this year on the herby thing image ) I was wondering about honeysuckle or maybe something else that will climb as pot is next to patio wall so could train it over that.

• hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81

Ceres - thank you for the link, will look at it  image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,274

Hi hartleyhare,love the name btw!! Didn't he have a Brummie accent?

I had a Honeysuckle in a pot once but after a few years I removed the pot and planted the Honeysuckle straight into the ground where it has since flourished. It seems to have preferred the ground to the pot but you might have better luck.