Forum home The potting shed

Chelsea!

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I'm happy with the judging overall and would very much like to extend my warmest congratulations to Chris Bearshaw and his students for their triumph over fashion! And also Kazuyuki Ishihara and all the other medal winners for jobs well done.image

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

wintersong.. on the red button today those gren balls are called pin cushion moss.. t hey said they show when it is drying out as ends turn white.. it a stunning garden.. i was surprised by some of the gold medals this year.. ones given and ones not received. was also a bit about rob toblyn garden on there he explains how its geo suits the eye.. very intersting..

getting ready for tonights full 1.5hours worth of viewing..

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

On Wednesday night's show, I thought that the instant wildlife meadow, using a turf carpet, was a brilliant idea. A genuine flower meadow is so difficult to achieve, and the solution (wildflower turf) is so simple.

I've never seen wildflower turf for sale at a garden centre, through many garden centes do sell rolls of standard turf, to take away.

Googling for 'Wildflower Turf' finds several suppliers. One website gives their formula: 'Cats Ear, Salad Burnet, Meadow Buttercup, Yellow Rattle, Ribwort Plantain, Lady’s Bedstraw, Yarrow, Cowslip, Self Heal and Red Campion'. Only one website was quoting prices, which seem to be about £27 for a 1.25 meter square. Not that expensive, IMO.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Thank you gardenfantic, I'll certainly check out what's on the red buttonimage and try to discover a way to do those in my garden. I think the essence of Chelsea and the other gardening shows is not just a festival of new plants but also new ideas.

Most of the gardens don't directly translate to the average backyard and I think most of the time a mortgage would be needed to build one, but I'm sure there is an idea or two for every taste and budget.image

• joslowjoslow Posts: 218

I am a bit confused, after watching several hours of coverage I feel I have only seen 8 show gardens. I believe that there are more than 10, is this poor coverage by the Beeb or are some so similar that it is hard to seperate them.

I would like a little more colourimage

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 512

I think the lack of colour this year was due to the weather conditions, and the fact that lots of the show gardens are much more naturalistic. I was astonished how many gardens had what most gardeners would consider weeds growing in them. I won't feel so bad now, as my garden has buttercups, wild geum,cow parsley, and other so called weeds, grown deliberately, as I like them. I just have to keep an eye on the spreading each year.  After all a weed is only a misplaced plant

• Hello Chelsea fans,

As everyone wants to see colour, please look at our colour themed gallery from Chelsea 2012. I hope it gives you the colour kick you're looking for!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Emma, I have looked at your Gallery and it is indeed lovely apart from most of the pictures are indoors.
    We are complaining about the lack of colour in some of the show gardens, to me the colour scheme is green, admittedly many shades of green, the Irish wrote a song about it.
    We never see all the gardens especially the smaller ones unless they win a gold, then we get two presenters jabbering on when we only want to see the garden, I do admit to turning the sound off at times.
    They are probably tied by the Chelsea Gardens wanting to get paying punters through the gates.

Frank.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

@wintersong..your welcomeimage

I must admit that i have not seen much of the courtyard gardens or small gardens.. keep seeing the same damn ones all the time.. or going other gardens of famous people.. dont get me wrong.. i love looking at gardens.. but i dont seem to have seen much of the chelsea ones this year.. i must be fast forwarding to much or somethingimage

• Mollycat2Mollycat2 Posts: 14
    I would love to get in Friday evening from 5.30 but appreciate all the tickets to Chelsea sold out months ago! Has anyone tried the suggestion of arriving and trying to get returns in person at the gate? I don't know whether it is totally unrealistic and I'm likely to be met with a queue of hundreds. I would have to travel for an hour and a half - realistically, am I likely to get near the gate from anyone that has tried?