Forum home Talkback

how long does it take for bell peppers to germinate?

I planted my first lot of bell pepper seeds about a week ago and so far there is no sign of them growing at all. I've started growing them in a propagator with the lid on but am not sure whether to have lid off. All advice is more than welcome!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok thanks for the advice, i will try to keep my eye out for some plants
  • irishmanirishman Posts: 3

As an extension to this scroggin you mentioned that they take a long time to grow.  I have six plants which I have grown from seed and repotted two per pot.  They are about an inch and a half high and healthy looking.  But "slow to grow" may be an understatement.  how long should they take to start really growing.  I have them in a green house along with tomato plants which seem to be doing well and are flowering at this stage.  Any advice re the peppers?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

Mine took three weeks to show in the greenhouse.

Asda are selling seedlings/plugs whatever you like to call them, 79p I think

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

They are really slow aren't they!  I started by sowing chillies, and about two or three weeks later, sowed the peppers.  You would think they would be similar, but I now have chillies nearly ready to pick in the greenhouse, but the peppers don't even have flowers on them. 

• irishmanirishman Posts: 3

Thanks folks.  I gather that I am not doing much wrong here and just need to be patient . 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I ordered three peppers from GW from their 'free' offer back in March, along with three tomatoes.  They arrived at the end of April (fine) but nobody told me until the middle of May, despite the packaging saying 'Living plants, open immediately' in big letters.

Two of the toms had had it completely - dried up and obviously dead, but the peppers have all survived and are now healthy young plants in the g/h.  So I guess the message is, be patient, they may take a while to get going but they're tougher than you think!

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 374

If it's taking longer than a fortnight, it's not warm enough. You really want to be sowing these seeds at a MINIMUM of 20C and it can go well above.In UK you want to do this in January in a heated propagator, as it takes 8 months from sowing to getting ripe peppers. There is a variety called Pimenta americana which is sort of midway between a chilli and a bell pepper but not fiery and ripens faster. It's flavoursome but not as fleshy. Good luck next year!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Last year I sowed some not earlier than March (can't remember exactly when) and got ripe peppers by the end of the summer.  Unheated greenhouse.