Forum home Plants

Mystery plants

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

The first is a plant I have seen regularly in other people's gardens except mine until now.I dug some up from my daughter's garden and transplanted it.Its the central

plant with the pink bloom.

The second plant is not yet in flower but has one central spike of blue/purple flowers/florets when in full bloom.Someone told me it was a weed but clearly the term 'weed' is subjective.The bees like it and so do I  image

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

The first is red valerian, you can also get a white version. Can be invasive in some gardens.

I don't recognise the second one

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Could the first one be Verbanum?  I always mix up Verbanum with Valerium but I think it's the first name - I have that in white and red and it's lovely - does have a bit of a whiffy smell sometimes though??

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Oh sorry Fleurisa, my post crossed with yours - and trust me to get it the wrong way round - but I am trying (very apparentlyimage)

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

lol at least you were close Lavande,I didn't have a clue image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

Centranthus rubra, aka valerian

Linaria purpurea. 

I grow them both. I like them and so do bees and butterflies

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

You know,where would I be without you guys?? Imagine me googling 'plant with pink flowers' etc. The best source of information is accomplished gardeners like you folks.I offer my humble thanks. Its so good to be able to put a name to them now image

just years of looking at them Fishyimage

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,561
    Fishy65 wrote (see)

You know,where would I be without you guys?? Imagine me googling 'plant with pink flowers' etc.  image

How ridiculous!  Everybody knows you would need to google "plant with pink flowers in my garden" to get accurate answersimage

Google sees everything. It probably does know what's in our gardens.

and what's in the back of the cupboard on the landing

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

Love your pic. of the border terrier - reminds me of one I had as a child