Forum home Talkback

Oak seedlings to find a home

Hi, I'm new here and I would like to ask for some advice please.

I was given six seed pods, from my niece, and she said it would be a miracle if they grew. Challenged with this I planted them in small pots and all six have begun their new life. Now, obviously, they cannot live with me so they are to be donated.

I have asked the Forestry Commission about them and they say they do not accept donations of seedlings due to possible bugs and diseases being introduced. They get their own supplies, of course, from nurseries. It is understandable that they have to be careful, however, I am sure that these trees will perform as normal.

So then, advice on whether anyone would want them please? They are from 2 to 8 inches in height and show roots in the bottom of their pots. It would be a shame to not let them grow on to be mature trees. I would not like to have to dispose of them.

Is there a home out there for them?image

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I quite often get free trees from the birds (just found a small Rowan in the Strawberry patch). I put them in my local park. Just find any space, take a fork and put it in. If it looks like you made an effort to plant it the park people tend to leave well alone. The trees facing my house and in next doors garden all came from me planting/donating them.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

You could keep one and experiment with a bonsai oak tree

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have a bonsai oak like Fleurisa suggests as I couldn't bear to throw it away.  I found it as  an oak seedling growing in my old allotment about 20 years ago and dug it up and it is now in a large pot in the back garden where it will stay.  I might have to put it in my will.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Could you do a bit of Urban Guerilla Gardening and infiltrate them into a local park.

Naughty, but Nice. 

• Wow! Planting them ad hoc eh? Must try that! I'd love to have a little secret growing round here!

I have six secrets to plant. One every day of the week - I'll rest on Sunday. That's the way of things, set many years go, so why not nowadays?!

Then, of course, I could just leave them at the church, which is visible from our kitchen window, and let them do the divine deed. Oh dear, that's enough.

• imageUpdate - the baby trees have died.

I offered them to our local council and the man said he would contact me in November when they consider new planting areas at that time, but he forgot. I watched them lose their leaves and they became just sticks. They are still just sticks but perhaps they are supposed to be just sticks at this moment in time.

Anyway, I realise that the council gardener would probably prefer to source his seedlings from a proper nursery and was just being sympathetic about my trees. I tried though. Just wanted to say what happened to them. I will compost them now.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Don't compost them - they may have roots and grow on in the spring.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

Are you sure that they are dead and not just hibernating? If you gently bend the stems do the bend or snap off? If they bend then they are just waiting for spring. Take them for a walk and plant them in a park. Nothing ventured....image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Oh, ok. I'll look at them tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

I think yours may be ok they lose the leaves in winter