Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Money saving and recycling tips

Whilst making tea last night it occurred to me that the deep plastic tubs that some veg comes in (eg mushrooms and peppers) could be used for sowing seeds in, therefore saving money on seeds trays.  I also use things like 2 litre drinks bottles as mini cloches and empty plastic milk bottles as a 'watering can'.

So this got me wondering wether anyone else recycles everyday things in the garden and GH to either save waste and be Eco friendly or just to save money?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I like that idea Scroggin, although no cakes for me at the moment image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I use the bamboo skewers sold for kebabs to support my sweet peas before they go in the ground.  It helps to stop them hugging each otherimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I use the spray bottles that the daily shower cleaner comes in for spraying whatever on my plants - lots and lots of rinsing first, and then squirting clean water through the spray mechanism to make sure it's all cleaned out - and don't forget to label with waterproof marker - don't want the Under Gardener to spray seaweed spray on the shower!!! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Another fab idea Dove, why didn't I think of that image  I've just thrown one of my empty Method bottles away too, oh well, I'll save the next one.  Do you make your own seaweed spray?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I use Doff Liquid Seaweed concentrated multi-purpose feed - available on Amazon if your local GC doesn't have it.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I do the same with the window cleaner bottles.  Pot Noodle pots make good plant pots with a hole made in the bottom.  And ice cream tubs are good too - also the tub lids make good stands for pots on the windowsills in early spring.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Nearly all my growing containers had a previous life as either food containers or cleaning containers - where I used to work (now happily retired - hooray!), salads would come in deep lidded containers - great for propagators - they fitted my heated trays too which was a bonus.  

Still, if you buy plug plants or anything like that they all come in plastic something, and what to do with them does become a problem - I do put them into recycling when I can't use them, in the hope they re-appear as something. 

• gavthebladegavtheblade Posts: 14

cut a fizzy drinks bottle in half,keep both halves.put the screw cap end,minus the cap in your grow bags,carefully at the same time as planting up,or next to runner beans in the same fashion,just above the soil level.

Thus allowing water/rain water to go straight to the root system.It also acts as a slug and snail trap!!!!!.

Save the other half to collect rain water in.

Nothing goes to waste!!!!

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I use the plastic trays ,toilet roll holders,old spray bottles (washed out well).image