When to plant out dahlias

When do I plant out dahlias, I'm on the lincolnshire/notts border! 

• Foodie40Foodie40 Posts: 53

Hi Red Dahlia, I planted mine out on 5th May, I'm in Dorset so it's a bit earlier for us down here than where you are but we had a cold night last night and the dahlia's are fine. I put them outside for about two weeks during the day so they're quite happy and already growing well, although the slugs have got four of themimage

• BiljeBilje Posts: 378

Hi I'm in the NE , Washington, mine have been planted out a bit at a time since early May. I need to slug pellet which I'm loath to do but I need to give them every chance just for a while. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,698

I've planted  out one: Dahlia Imperialis from seed I collected on the side of a mountain in Tamil Nadu in Southern India a couple of years ago. The rest are still in an unheated polytunnel.

Devon.

by " the rest " I mean about 200 others.

Devon.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 378

That's why I like to get on with planting, back and knees aren't as enthusiastic as I am. So it has to be a few at a time. 

HF1 I'm very envious of your seeds from india, visited many times although mostly Goa. Visited Kerala last year, fabulous plants although my Curry plant seeds germinated I lost them later..sad.

Bilje, I've got more seed, if you'd like some.We owned an appartmfent in South Goa for 9 years.

Devon.

Dahlia Imperialis can grow to 6 metres, yes metres tall.

Devon.
  • Foodie40Foodie40 Posts: 53

wow you need a big garden for them then!!!

• I have bedding dahlias and then a mixed variety that stands at 3 ft. I'm wondering about taking them out my plastic greenhouse and planting them out now it's warm. But will I regret it?