Peppers disappearing help

Hi Folks,

Am very new to this gardening malarkey but am enjoying it tremendously. I have a problem that I need help with. I am growing about 18 pepper plants and 6 or so chilli plants in one of those cheap plastic tent type green houses. My plants were all doing very well until I went in the greenhouse after a trip away. Almost all my plants have disappeared something has eaten them almost down to the level of the potting compost.

What do I do and how do I protect them. The only thing I can see is the odd slug. All the plants are in individual pots but in a big watering tray

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,665

It only takes one odd slug .................. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • NevynNevyn Posts: 3

Whats the best way to get rid of them

Vigilance - go out in the evening with a torch and look underneath the pots and in the trays and ..................... there are as many ways of 'dealing' with them as there are gardeners!

As you've got the plants up and away from land-based wildlife like hedgehogs, you could get some of the safer slug pellets that are based on ferric phosphate  http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p1821/ADVANCED-SLUG-KILLER-575g/product_info.html   rather than the others that are so dangerous to wildlife. You only need to put a few pellets around your pots.

And look at other threads on here about slugs and snails - you'll soon pick up some tips. 

Make sure there's nowhere for the slugs and snails to hide - check the rims of trays and under the pots - they're sneaky little critters image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Be brave and get a fork, that's what I do. I had a slug in my GH, it hasn't done too much damage luckily but I have been out the last 3 nights trying to find it.... nowhere to be seen, I've gone in today and there it is, a big fat ugly thing that is now bird food!!!!
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,172

OL............I'm intrigued..............how did you manage to ID that slug as "The One" ?image

In my experience ii is usually the little beggars who do most damage...........the big macho ones are usually too busy showing off their Pecsimage

I bet he looked guilty image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    He did look very guilty and was a bloater so assumed he had done all the eating LOL . I've had a good look everywhere in the GH and can't find any, not even tiny ones, I've had pots up and everything!! Blasted things......they will get my fork if I catch them!!!
  • Autumn dhAutumn dh Posts: 51

I planted two pumpkin plants with my son yesterday, and they were both gone by this morning. Luckily I had a few more plants on the window sill. I've ordered the pellets and put coffee around the new plants in the mean time. Is coffee useless?

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 178

No my wife swears by it. I'm a little more sceptical but a lot of nasties including slugs and scale insects don't like it. Spread the grounds on the soil around the base of the plant and/ or spray it on the leaves ( for scale).

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

I don't know about big slugs being harmless. I pulled an enormous black one off the angelica and half the flower head had gone!!!

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.