euphorbias turning yellow

Hello everyone I do hope someone can advise me.I have recently been given a euphorbia wulfenii to commemorate a wedding anniversary but im upset to say i'm having trouble!

I have noticed that the bottom leaves are turing yellow and are dropping rapidly. by admission i am a complete beginner in the garden  but i do know that the soil is alkaline. no one has been able to tell me what feed it needs or when etc not even the gardens where it was purchased!(was a very well known gardens)

I did have a euphorbia portuguese velvet but after three years of no apparant growth the whole plant died and i am at a loss again as to why this is happening. I have always seen these at RHS gardens where they flourish so cant understand why they are not in my garden.I must be doing something wrong but what?

thanks for listening

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Is it in a pot or the ground?

These plants are unfussy creatures as far as soil type is concerned as long as its free draining. They hate wet feet. A sunny position is best although light shade will do and they are also free from any pests and diseases that I have read about.

It may very well be hungry, they grow like the clappers once established. Feed it bone-meal after flowering (which should be about now) and cut back flower stems to base and give it timeimage but wear gloves, the sap is an irritant.

• newbie2newbie2 Posts: 3

the wulfenii is in a pot at the moment but the portuguese velvet was in the ground, both alakali soil. neither has/had ever flowered.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

If it is in a pot, are you keeping it adequqtely moist? Pots need regular watering as rain is not enough to water them.

• newbie2newbie2 Posts: 3

keeping the soil moist  but still no sign of flowers and the leaves are still turning yellow