Forum home Talkback

veg

Hi guys I now need help with some purple sprouts my son bought me the seeds and I have grown them on into small pots I think its soon time to plant out never grown veg before and I have no room in the ground but I do have really large pots will I be able to grow them in these and I take it just one plant per pot? Any info on this subject is most appreciated image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Do you mean Purple Sprouting Broccoli? Or Purple Brussell Sprouts? Either way, they are both prone to attack by pigeons and snails. I have just planted out mine, after hardening them off by having them out during the day and in at night for a few days. I have sprinkled slug pellets around and covered them with netting (to also protect against the cabbage white butterfly whose caterpillars can eat a small plant pretty fast.

All this may make you think it is not worth it, but these precautions don't take long to put in place and the results will be delicious veg up till Christmas and beyond.image

Both the plants mentioned above grow quite large and may need staking in a pot.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

I agree with the above.  Use garden soil in the pots if you can, otherwise a John Innes No 3.  Avoid using multi-purpose compost as it will be too light and the sprouts will likely 'blow'.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • little beelittle bee Posts: 68
    Thanks for advice I dident no about compost been no good and would have used it so glad I asked I will use the soil from the garden pack them tight and stake them hopefully they will be ok never seen a purple brussel sprout before and heard that they are really tasty and good for you so fingers crossed thanks again for great advice
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

My neighbour gave me some purple Brussels sprouts last week.  I am hopefully putting them in the veg patch with my regular sprouts next weekend when I have pigeon proofed it image I'd never heard of them either and will be interested to see what they  are like, if I am successful with them as I've never had much luck with any Brassicas, in fact I've never had any luck with them!! image Fingers crossed.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

They have been grown from seed in a seed tray image Thanks Scroggin, I appreciate the  warning, my neighbour is very experienced though so I do trust her, although I do think she may have given me a slug which is now in my GH and I can't find the thing!!!!  It's eaten some sunflowers and another sprout plant image