Forum home Talkback

Cocoa Shell Mulch

yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

I only picked up on this from one of those Facebook round robin things about animals dying after eating them.  It may be something which has come up before or it may turn out there is more to it.  You never know with Facebook things.  Interesting and worrying though.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550

Hello yarrow. I had never heard that. I know that our town uses it in the public areas where people walk their dogs and so on. It absolutely smells to highheaven - I can't imagine anything eating it!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

Yes, I heard a number of years ago that Cocoa shells is very dangerous for animals - especially dogs.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,076

It's the chocolate content that's bad for pets, especially dogs who are more likely to eat it than cats.    Use ordinary bark mulch instead.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

It is a chemical called 'theobromine' which is in the cocoa shells that is harmful to both cats and dogs - though cats are less likely to eat it. I believe some manufacturers have removed this chemical from their product but I personally avoid using cocoa mulch's on a common sense basis of 'better safe than sorry.