ID help please

katvetkatvet Posts: 45

These two plants are taking over my garden - any ideas what they are and whether I should pull them?! I'm a very novice gardener! Thanks image

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

well...the first one looks like Geranium 'Cambridge' and the second a Brunnera.... both plants are amongst my very favourite, I use the Geranium extensively here...you can always pull bits up if you want.... but these are really very good plants to have... perhaps in smaller doses for you...?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,776

The first is cranesbill (the seedheads will show you where the name came from) - geranium robertianum

the second is green alkanet  - pentaglottis sempervirens - both are sometimes regarded as weeds but sometimes as wanted plants.

Both will spread like mad - if they're where you don't want them I suggest pulling them up before the flowers turn to seed. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • LavandeLavande Posts: 153

I think the top one is a member of the geranium family Katvet, I have lots of it in my garden too - there are areas where it is quite pretty - others where it is just not wanted.  It pulls up easily though.  I don't know what the blue one is, it looks very pretty but that's not to say it is welcome to take over.  You will definitely get an Id on both from some of the more experienced members - I just get over excited if I recognise something. image

• LavandeLavande Posts: 153

OOps I took so long typing - I thought for once I was going to be first to replyimage

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..lol...I always get it wrong... well, Brunnera is much nicer, if you get that...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,776

I definitely agree that Brunnera is much nicer image

Having put my specs on I can see that the leaves of the first one aren't quite right for Herb Robert - cranesbill, but it's something like it.  image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I thought the first one was Parsley and the  2nd some kind of Borageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,252

The top one has very shiny leaves, I reckon that's Geranium lucidum. It's an annual, seeds madly but pulls out OK. If you grow it fairly hard it finishes with fantastic red leaves.

and green alkanet as stated

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,183

I can never enlarge any of the pics.......probably need a new computerimage

If the top one has shiny leaves and grows in fairly damp shady spots, is it what I know as Toadflax.?  Can't think of the proper name offhand.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Not Toadflax. The common name is Shining Cranesbill.