Forum home Talkback

Raspberry suckers

Morning All, please could anyone advise what one can do about raspberry canes popping up all over the place.  I planted my canes last year in the centre of a raised bed and this year, they are throwing up shoots all around the inside and the outside of the wooden bed frame and also 2 metres away in the lawn!! Do I just cut them down as am assuming they may reduce vigour to the main fruiting canes.  

• ImpHostaImpHosta Posts: 56

Hi Lorraine - I'm having the same issue; I've just been ruthless and cut back to one or two new canes per plant, partly to keep the rigour in the fruiting cane / new cane but also because they just pop up everywhere! 

Where I can I also pull out the roots given they spread over a long distance (I've got raised beds and some roots have spread from my raspberry canes to a veg bed about 2 metres away much like yours!!).  Not sure if this is the right approach or not - if not I am sure someone more qualified will be along soon...

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You do need those suckers - in the right place - for next year's fruit.  Dig up the ones that are in the wrong place and cut out the weak ones.  Leave about 5 per plant for next year's fruit.

The treatment for autumn fruiting plants is somewhat different, but all raspberries wander.

• Yes, but this is the natural growth habit of raspberries i.e. they will go on to produce fruit, just as well as those in your chosen straight line.

Not a bad idea to drive a split trench along the length of your row and dig the rest up.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264

Raspberries have shallow roots which grow close to the surface, having just planted some autumn fruiting plants I was advised to put a barrier going into the ground around the bed deep enough so the roots don't pass underneath it. The plant will still produce suckers but hopefully these will come up inside the barrier and remain in the raspberry bed. 

The roots don't seem to grow down more than a spade deep ( I've just dug up an area on the allotment full of suckers). Not sure what you could use to make the barrier, I have some roof tiles which I was going to push into the ground length ways.

• Lorraine56Lorraine56 Posts: 38

Thank you all for your responses; also wondered whether I could propagate some of these young canes to grow on in another area of the garden where it won't matter so much if they pop their heads up everywhere!!

• ImpHostaImpHosta Posts: 56

Absolutely Lorraine - some of the young canes that are about a foot or so tall with a good root system have been potted up to hand on to someone else or plant elsewhere in the garden (not that I have enough room!!).  Seems such a shame to compost healthy looking plants that have such a zest for reproductive life!! image

• Lorraine56Lorraine56 Posts: 38

Thank you ImpHosta; I will certainly try and propagate some as like you, I hate throwing anything that could have a chance in the garden onto the compost heap!