Just getting started and had several garden thefts

ninnin Posts: 156

I was made redundant a while ago and made the most of the time starting the garden after years of neglect due to job and kids. I got a local man to clear the worst and dig over from there on i dug and built raised beds weeded added fertiliser and manure and planted, seeded a lawn built raised beds and generally spent a year working my backside off.

With no sign of a job i purchased a large bulk of slightly used plastic terracotta look pots from Ebay several hundred in fact as well as loads of little pots and seed trays it was one lot and a real bargain.My intention was to plant up some of 12 inch pots with herbs etc and sell at car boot sales to help pay for my sons college next year.

A week after the pots arrived i thought a pile of around fourty 12 inch pots had vanished My husband said i was imagining it. I got quite angry this weekend with my husband as it looks like around 150 to 200 pots have disapeared not just the ones i bought to sell with herbs but pots i got last year or my birthday some of these are 22 inch pots last year i had about fifteen 22 + inch pots with toms and cues in plus got some more from ebay now i only have 6 left .

I think the thief is returning taking a stack or two of pots at a time.

Its bad enough somebody stole my wheelbarrow last year along with rake two forks and a spade.

I think it may be the man I paid to dig over my garden, that stole the pots and tools but cant prove pots may be able to prove tools as have seen fork and wheelbarrow somewhere else he works.

I think if it is him he may well sell at a car boot sale as i know he goes to them.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,113

It's rotten when that sort of thing happens. It happened to me when I had a young man in to cut my hedge and do some strimming. My leafblower/hoover and my new longhandled hedgecutter that my father gave me disappeared, along with some smaller bits and pieces. He got very concerned that I would call the police and insisted it was gipsies.

Sometimes you hear of things being nicked or damaged on allotments. I think that is very mean, allotment owners aren't usually rich people.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,409

Oh Nin,

I absolutely hate thieves. I really don't understand why people want to take someone else's possessions. It's utterly demoralising.

If it was me I'd set up a permanent stag system until I caught the person in the act- but I do get a bee in my bonnet about these things.

I'd be tempted to call the man around for a fake quote on some work and just tell him in passing what has happened/ how hurtful/ college fund/ made redundant and how you're trying to create a nice space for the neighbourhood not just yourself. I wouldn't let him know I suspected him but it might make him feel BAD!

• ninnin Posts: 156

Just called the police and reported

I have known this man from years not a friend but a local character he knows my kids and that i lost my job. It may not be him but i will tell the police i suspect him. he is not internet or computer savvy i order him seed catalogs on the internet. I am just hoping anybody local to me will keep there eyes peeled for somebody selling plastic terracotta look pots if they see this post.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Laborious I know, but can you paint the bases of the pots, then you can recognise them again if they turn up on a car boot stall somewhere.  Or put your initials in felt tip on the bases.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,761

Some people just think that if someone has a lot of something they won't miss a few and they help themselves image  They regard it as 'perks' .  Totally wrong and totally dishonest of course, but they were brought up like it and you'll never change them 'cos they're not bright enough to take on new concepts image

Ask your suspect to keep his eyes open for the thief and tell him you, your neighbours and the police are doing the same.

And yes, mark them!!! 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • ninnin Posts: 156

Thanks dove going out with permenant marker now to mark 150+ pots

Not worried about replacing the 12" pots was going to sell them but cant afford to replace the biggies so where do i put my Tomatoes and cucumbers?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,761

Ask your chap if he knows of anywhere you can get hold of some going cheap, explaining that you've been the victim of a despicable thief - you never know, he might come across some exactly like the ones you had that someone doesn't want any more image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,607

Ask him if he knows where you can get some? imageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I think if you go to your local market you might find your missing items. Many years ago my mother found that all her new plants and gardening tools kept going missing and so did all neighbours have the same problem.when the police caught the  thief he was the post man who took his goods to the local market to sell and that included lawn mowers!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,762

And invest in a CCtv camera nin. Dove's right - they're despicable.

I'm about to do that to catch the ****** who keeps letting their dog out to come in  my garden time after time after time.... imageimage

I know who it is,  I will catch them and will thoroughly enjoy seeing them get their thousand pound fine.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past