Spring wildlife gardening and pond updates :)

13»

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

I have some blanketweed and was really worried. But the tadpoles just love it. Although I think they are turning carnivorous because one was munching its way down a bloodworm yesterday. 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,573

Frogs starting to leave the pond now but the Newts  are still very active............they will often lay belly up in the water during the day time.......pretending to be dead.......I,m wise to their ploys now........the first couple of times I thought "Oh, dead Newts " and gave them a gentle prod.........they immediately gave me a dirty look and swum offimage

Having had ponds on and off in the U K, for years  and always enjoyed Frogs, Toads and Newts as well as Dragonflies and all the little beasties............I confess I really enjoyed my big pond in France where I was lucky enough to have Marbled Newts as well.  Compared to our little Newts, these were big fat jobs lazing around in the shallows......a joy to watchimage

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Happy for you Dove, glad the amphibians have turned up to make your pond complete, i so prefer a wildlife pond to a fish pond, but what can i do, she who must be obeyed wants fish, you enjoy your milk tonight you deserve it... image

Philippa your French Marbled Newts sound like me on a beach holiday, "a joy to watch"  image i am missing my wildlife pond already, the only solution i can think of is a second pond for wildlife mmmm now that's an idea....

PG..........image.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,612

Reasons to have blanketweed Number 23:

It makes an inelegant frog den...

image & image 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,267

Can never have too many ponds PG image

I like both types - but if push came to shove it would be a wildlife one. Once I move - again- I might  have both. A formal pond in an Italinate garden and a wildlife one in a more natural setting.

Well , I can dream....image

We had a lot of blanket weed in the big pond at last house Victoria and the frogs used to sit on it   image 

and do other things too.... image 

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,425

Just been gazing in the pond again - three frogs there today - one biggish and two that look like last year's froglets.  They look so happy - if a frog can look happy - or is that the reflection of my big grin that I can see in the water imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,756

I've been having a look as well, no frogs but dozens of newtsimage

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Good news my fish have started feeding on the pellets, and are becoming a wee bit more bolder, it is very therapeutic watching them feed, one of them is a little grubber eating everything before the rest get a chance, for some reason the OH named that one after me, huuummmppphhh, right i'm off for a kebab, doh...image 

Newts love blanket weed..............fish it out and loads of Newts entangled in it.......drop it back in the pond.......sigh !!

13»